One thing about the army that I extremely dislike is stupid people, stupid orders, stupid people who give stupid orders, and stupid orders carried out by yours truly. So this week started with a mission that takes stupid to a whole new level. Unfortunately I can't describe the mission in detail, but to say it was stupid would be naive. Not only was it a waste of time, and not productive, but I would classify it as being counterproductive. Additionally, doing something for the sake of doing something is just plain stupid. It got to the point that when we started I looked at my commander and without saying anything we just started laughing hysterically for approximately 5 minutes without saying anything. This was the kind of mission that you want to get the commanding officer to come down and do it himself. Afterward I want him to look me in the eyes with a straight face and tell me that this mission is not a complete waste of time and that some good came out of it.
This week was Chanukah - the festival of lights (or as I called it this year, the festival of sufganiyot). Sufganiyot are the traditional jelly donuts eaten on the holiday. It seemed that every day of the holiday (8 days) we got a shipment of sufganiyot from somewhere. Assuming that we would not be getting sufganiyot every day we enjoyed (devoured) them the instant they came. With this procedure repeating itself every day I seemed to have lost track of how many sufganiyot I ate over the holiday. An estimate conducted after the holiday shows that I probably had in excess of 25 sufganiyot over an 8 day period. The only down part of the holiday was that despite the near endless flow of sufganiyot I was not able to choose different flavours - I had to eat what was delivered :-( I was not lucky enough to get off base and to a bakery in time to be able to choose my flavour of sufganiya.
It rained again - this time as we were cleaning the tanks. simply not fun at all - rain, and lots of mud. But one thing I do have to be thankful for was my weekend break when it came. This past weekend the sky finally opened up and it simply poured all day Saturday and Sunday afternoon and evening. Saturday there was also hail and winds up to 100km/hr. Sunday at about 1PM the sky turned pitch black as if it were 10PM and the sky opened up again. All this time I was very thankful to be inside, and nowhere near tanks. I hope that the rain will stop by the time I get back to base.
Sorry for the fairly boring blog post, but at this time my life is just like the blog post - fairly boring. Nothing too interesting to report. Coming up to 6 months while guarding the border with Lebanon its hard to find new and interesting blog material.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment