This was the week of the switch - I didn't go back to the tanks, but I went to another base to help pack up everything. By everything I mean E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G. - from TVs to desks, mattresses, toilet paper, picnic benches, bricks, and everything in between. The first few days there wasn't much work to do - just a few hours worth each day. I was able to catch up on my sleep as well as watch some TV. It also rained a fair bit so I was glad to be inside most of the time, unlike my platoon which was outside with the tanks. Most of the work we did was when we had to load up the 18 wheeler trailer with everything that was mentioned above. We didn't get much help as we were only about 5 people. The worst part was that the trailer came at 1030PM in the rain. We didn't finish until 3AM and we had to wake up at 730 in order to finish the last minute packing and clean all the rooms. After lunch, we had literally nothing to do until the bus came so everyone gathered in one room and tok a nap on the floor until the bus came.
It was exciting to finally leave after half a year of boring monotonous difficult work. We are now moving to a base in the Golan Heights where our entire battalion is stationed (3 tank companies) so it was exciting to finally be reunited with my friends from training after having not seen them for more than half a year.
In the next 2 weeks, we have a lot of work to do before we actually start training. The battalion commander will be coming to check the tanks and the barracks so everything has to be in order and the tanks have to be super clean. Before heading home on Friday we had a full day of work ahead of us. Our first task (and might I add that it is one of the worst jobs related to the tanks) was to take out ALL the ammunition, have it checked and then put it all back where it came from. In daditino to there being tons of ammunition (I'm not exaggerating - the ammunition does weight a number of tons), it is also difficult to access and awkward to remove. We couldn't start working on my tanks because it had not yet arrived from our previous base, so we did the owrk for the crew that was tank sitting for us. Once our tank arrived we did the backbreaking work for a second time. The third tank in our platoon did not arrive until the afternoon so I had to assist them as well. In the evening, while everyone went to a company meeting my commander and I had to stay back and fill up 2 tanks with gas. From this description of my day it doesn't sound so bad, however I started working at 630AM and finished at 1030PM. I also had to work straight through dinner, so the last break I had I had taken was for lunch. The only thing that kept me going was the light at the end of the tunnel, which was that the following morning I was heading home for the weekend!!!
On Friday it was time to go home!!!! Wake up at 530, and by 7 we were on a bus heading home. At about 9AM we stopped for a pit stop on the side of the road. We hadn't eaten anything all morning because we were too busy scrambling to get things ready in order to go home. We were given 10 minutes and everyone got off the bus and all we saw was a sea of people because there was another bus full of soldiers that had gotten there before us. We manage to push our way to the front and we see about 10 tables full of food - cookies, cake, candies, salads, sandwiches, etc. pretty much an entire brunch buffet. It was all free!!! The only catch was that once we got on the bus we got listen to this woman's amazing story of why she decided to give free food to busloads of soldiers.
Twenty years earlier across the street from the bus shelter on the side of the highway which we stopped at, a terrorist with a knife was stabbing a woman who started to cry for help. It was a friday morning and like many bus stations there was a soldier waiting for a bus on his way home from base. The soldier heard the cries for help, subdued the terrorist and ended up saving the life of the woman. A local citizen of the community (this woman who was speaking to us) wanted to do something to show her appreciation for what that soldier did, and what the soldiers do as a whole. The following Friday morning (this is the time that many soldiers are on their way back home from base for the weekend) she showed up to the bus shelter with homemade cookies and handed them out to the soldiers who passed by. She continued to do this every Friday morning with some of her friends. The project began to grow when one morning a soldier asked if she happened to have a sandwich instead of the cookies because he was hungry; the following week she made sure to prepare sandwiches. She began accepting donations from community members - however the donations can only be made in food, she does not accept money. As the project grew, the city asked how they could help her. She said that since the bus shelter is simply on the side of the highway, she wanted a space that was more off the side of the road and safe. The city decided to build a fence where it was cornered off and there was a safe place to park for the buses and passers. Her idea has grown and now there are numerous stations like these around the country where regular citizens hand out free food to soldiers on their way home from base. This woman has been doing this every week for the past 20 years in order to show her appreciation for what the soldiers do for Israel.
I spent shabbat in Jerusalem as a guest on a trip sponsored by the JNF (Jewish National Fund) entitled Greeks Build Israel. It is a trip for students in fraternities and sororities to travel to Israel for one week to do volunteer work. I participated in the trip 2 years ago (and blogged about it here - blog posts from December 28th 2008 - January 6 2009) and they requested that I join them for shabbat and share my experiences about being in the army. We headed to the Western wall with the group to welcome in the shabbat and we had quite a long and wet walk back to the hotel. Our walk brought us through the entire city. I have done lots of walking in Jerusalem, but this walk took me into different areas of the city that I had not seen before as well as areas that I have been to by bus because they are too far away! All in all the walk was about an hour and a half. On the walk back we passed by the Prime Minister's house. I previously had no idea where it was located, but I found it to be quite close to a main intersection that I frequently pass by. This is noteworthy because since September the parents of Gilad Shalit have been sitting outside the house on the sidewalk as a protest to the governments inability to bring back their son from captivity. For those who don't know Gilad Shalit was kidnapped by hamas terrorists about a month before the start of the Second Lebanon War in 2006. Since then his whereabouts are unknown and he has been denied his right to see the Red Cross. More on Gilad Shalit here. His parents feel that the government is not doing enough to get his son released. Outside the Prime Ministers house, on this cold rainy Friday night, his parents were sitting at the shabbat table, singing the prayers and welcoming in the shabbat. There were about 100 people that were standing around the table and joining in with the singing. His parents have vowed not to leave the tent until their son is released from captivity. We only stuck around for about 10 minutes before we continued our walk, but I had the opportunity to see what was going on and now that I know where it is, I will have to make a point in going back.
I apologize for not posting this 2 weeks ago when I was off base, but I did not have an opportunity to get to a computer because I only got 2 days off base. Now that I am in training I spend 11 days on base and 3 days at home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment