email me: alex.kaldor@gmail.com
My travel blog: Alex vs. The World

Thursday, April 14, 2011

My release from the IDF!!!

Sorry for this post being 2 weeks late, but I have been busy (lazy). So on April 14th I left my kibbutz with all my remaining belongings and headed to base to get discharged. Now that I'm out of the army they stop paying for me to live on the kibbutz so I had to leave. A day earlier my battalion had finished with their stay in the base in the golan heights and headed over to Jericho where they are to be for the next few months. So me with my 3 massive bags of stuff had to figure out which busses I needed to take to get to the new base which is somewhere near Jericho. Luckily once I got to the bus station in Jerusalem I saw someone from the battalion and he told me where to go. Once I got to the base, nothing was set up and nobody knew anything (not that that is anything new). I found the office and said I was here to get released. They asked me if I had filled out the form where I had to return all my stuff and I had told them I had already done that a while ago. The next thing they asked was if I was doing reserve duty (with mahal I don't have to do reserves) so there was a bunch of other paperwork that I didn't have to fill out. Next I gave back my uniform and my kitbag. Lastly I cut my ID card in half - I got to keep the half with my picture on it as a souvenir :-) And thats it; officially a civilian again. They gave me a bus ticket so I could make my way back home. I said goodbye to the few people that I knew that were on base, ate lunch and then headed to the bus! Very anti-climactic and non eventful.
Moments after the cutting of the ID card and my official release!

So what the heck do I do now that I'm out of the army. Great question (continue reading my blog to find out). I can't get a job here beacuse my visa doesn't allow it. I don't have a permanent place to live, so I am jumping from place to place every few days. I'm in Israel for another 2 months so I'm bound to do some interesting things which will be blogged about.

No comments:

Post a Comment