email me: alex.kaldor@gmail.com
My travel blog: Alex vs. The World

Friday, September 18, 2009

More Basic Training

Monday I thought that I almost got lit on fire. We were sitting in a class and the jerk behind me pokes me in the back a few times. I then turn around really pissed off and his response was 'fire, fire'. I smelled something burning slightly and lept from my chair and tried to brush off my back, but there was nothing there.The guy had just put a small piece of paper in the metal backing of my chair and lit that on fire. I looked like a spaz because I freaked out in the middle of a class of 60 people.

On basewe dont' get to use the internet and the only outside news that we get is what they tell us - which they dont usually unless something big happens. On Sunday, Asaf Ramon - the son of Ilan Ramon was killed in a training accident. Ilan Ramon was the first Israeli astronaut, who was aboard the Columbia in 2003, which had a malfunction resulting in the death of all those abourd. Similarly to his father, Asaf was killed in a drill when his plane suddently took a nose dive - nobody else was hurt. He was 21 yeras old and graduated at the top of the class from the air force flight school - possibly the most difficult job in all of the IDF. May he rest in peace.

Tuesday I got to be a VIP and spend most of the day in an air conditioned room. Four of the top soldiers in the mahlaka of 64 were selected to be interviewd about who we are, where we came from, why we decided to join the army, etc. We got to speak with a general and a bunch of other well decorated people in the army. Talking to people that high up is pretty much completely out of the question, and I think looking at them might even be frowned upon. We also spoke with the head of the base and the head of all new immigrants to the army.

This week we wrapped up basic training part one. I get to do it all over again in 2 months though when I join my combat unit. The only difference is that it will be much more intense and longer. Soon we start the ulpan, but first we have a weekend of guard duty.

No comments:

Post a Comment