
The flag lowered to half mast

Representatives from the army (green), navy (white) and airforce (gray) standing at attention during the ceremony
Twenty five hours later after remembering the sacrifices of others for this country we began celebrating what we have. The flags were raised to full mast and the start of Yom Ha'atzmaut - Independence Day , Israel's 63rd birthday. I met up with a bunch of friends and headed to Machane Yehuda - the open air market for an outdoor party. Just as it felt like the party was getting started, at midnight they abruptly turned off the music and said party is over and you all have to leave. With that dissapointment we headed to the next street party which lasted until about 3AM when again - party over, go home. This time, however, I did. After partying pretty hard, it was time to call it a night beacuse there was still more celebrating to do once I woke up.
Nothing says despite your best efforts to destroy Israel and the Jewish state we once again live on to see another birthday (and many more to come!) like a BBQ! If your not having a BBQ on Yom Ha'atzmaut then your pretty much not celebrating it at all. At around 1130 I got to Gan Sacher where the entire city of Jerusalem was having a BBQ. The (first) one I went to was organized by the Michael Levine Lone Soldiers Foundation. It was a lot of fun and there was lots of food. I was able to see friends I hadn't seen in a while and make lots of new ones. After a few hours there I headed over to a second BBQ with my sister and her friends. Shortly thereafter I bumped into other friends and headed to a 3rd BBQ run by the student center at Hebrew University. The weather was absolutely fantastic for a fun day out in the sun. After some time at the 3rd BBQ a few friends and I started a journey to find some wine and continue our mild shenanegans.
In the afternoon, Israel was showcasing its airforce by having jets and planes fly over Jerusalem and the rest of the country. I got a pretty good look at them as they flew overhead but couldn't help but think what the hell are they thinking???!?!! Only 3 days earlier there was a fuel crisis where they found a contaminated substance in the jet fule leading to grounding of most flgihts, balaganim at the airport and a fuel shortage! No I know that the air force for sure has their own fuel reserves but if the entire country is in a jet fuel crisis - even if it is just temporary or even if it is currently being resolved I personally don't think its the smartest idea to send a dozen or so fighter jets for a fuel burning joyride across the country. On the other hand, it was pretty awesome!
Once I got back to the appartment I had one full day to plan my trip to Italy, pack and go exchange money before my flight.

Neon light flag of Israel that lined the old city wall just outside Jaffa Gate
No comments:
Post a Comment