email me: alex.kaldor@gmail.com
My travel blog: Alex vs. The World

Monday, May 25, 2009

Birthright again

Today I had the day off before meeting up with my friends on Birthright. I decided to go to the market on my continuing quest to find the BEST beet soup ever. I know what your thinking - eeeeeeeeew. However, this soup is worhty of a quest of this magnitude. When I was on Birthright 2 and a half years ago I was taken to this restaurant and told to eat the beet soup. My response to this was eeeeeeeewwwww. I ended up ordering it and it was amazing! A year later I came back looking for the restaurand for over 2 hours but I couldn't find it. So my quest continues. The 3 clues I have to finding this restaurant are as follows:
1. It is a restaurant.
2. They serve the best beet soup ever.
3. The restaurant (see clue number 1) is located on a street corner near the market.

I had all day to find this place, and I was determined to do so. If you did not already think that I am crazy, now is as good a time as any to reevaluate.

I managed to find the place relatively quickly this time in only 20 minutes. With the potential for overhyping the meal, this bowl of soup did not disappoint.
The holy grail! The soup included other vegetables and some sort of meat knish.

After walking around the market I headed to the new hotel to meet up with people on Birhtright. We went to the Wall to bring in Shabbat and followed that up with partying in the hotel. Saturday was a nice day to relax, where we hung out around the hotel. After shabbat ended we went out to Ben Yehuda St. and then a nightclub.

Sunday they took us to the Old City for a sub-par tour, and then to Gilo - a suburb of Jerusalem which was right beside the West Bank city of Bethlehem as seen in the picture below.

The security barrier that separates the West Bank from Israel can be seen in (1) and (2). The majority of the barrier is a chain link fence, while only 7% of it is a concrete wall. A wall (1) is only used when the two communities are very close together to prevent terrorists from shooting at their neighbours in Israel. A fence (2) is used in all other situations. Despite this added security, the houses and apartment buildings 100 meters behind where the picture is taken from are reinforced with bullet proof windows and there are concrete barriers around the communities to protect people from sniper fire from Bethlehem which was at an all time high in 2001 - 2003. An Israeli lookout post is seen in (3).

No comments:

Post a Comment